Head-On Collision on Bay Bridge Sends One to the Hospital

Earlier this week on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, an accident injured two people, sending one to the hospital in serious condition. According to a report by CBS Baltimore, the accident occurred around 11 a.m on the westbound span of the bridge, which was open to two-way traffic at the time.

Evidently, two cars collided head-on as they passed each other on the bridge. It is not clear exactly how the accident occurred, although the bridge is fairly narrow, and it doesn’t take much imagination to picture two cars colliding head-on. Two motorists were injured in the accident, and one of them was flown to the hospital with serious injuries.

Traffic was backed up five miles in either direction as emergency workers cleared the scene.

Head-On Collisions in Maryland

This report lacks specific details that would help determine who is at fault for the accident, but head-on collisions are often a result of distracted or negligent driving. There is a possibility, given this specific situation, that this accident could have also been caused by an inexperienced driver who was nervously crossing into oncoming traffic.

Either way, one of the parties involved likely was at fault for this accident, and the other was a victim of that driver’s negligence. In Maryland, there is a unique law that prohibits any accident victim who is found to be at all at fault from recovering entirely.

This means that if a jury determines that one party is 90% responsible for an accident, and the other party is 10% responsible, the party who is only 10% at fault will not be permitted to recover under Maryland law. To be sure, this is a harsh law. In fact, many other states have abandoned it for other versions that are more fair to accident victims.

However, the reality in Maryland is that any party found to be at all liable for an accident cannot recover from any other party involved. That means that the importance of an experienced and dedicated Maryland personal injury attorney is crucial to the success of an accident claim. With an attorney’s assistance, an accident victim will be able to better tell his or her story, ensuring that the at-fault party does not shift a small percentage of the blame to the victim and prevent his or her recovery.

Have You Been Injured in a Maryland Auto Accident?

If you or a family member has recently been involved in a serious Maryland car accident, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Given the state of the law in Maryland, even the slightest amount of fault on the part of an accident victim can totally prevent recovery. Don’t let this happen to you. Contact the law firm of Lebowitz & Mzhen Personal Injury Lawyers. The dedicated personal injury attorneys at Lebowitz & Mzhen have years of experience practicing Maryland personal injury law and know how to successfully bring a case for their clients. Click here, or call 410-654-3600 to schedule your free consultation today.

More Blog Posts:

McDonald’s Restaurant Permanently Closes After Driver Crashes Through the Drive Through, Maryland Car Accident Attorney Blog, published August 20, 2014.

Car Crashes into Restaurant, Sending Six to the Hospital, Maryland Car Accident Attorney Blog, published July 23, 2014.

Contact Information